Tuesday 28 July 2015

Little Bits of Tech (part 1) - Google Drive

I have learnt over time that people sometimes struggle to adapt to new technologies that are relevant to their industry. I found this to be true from my time working in finance and I am finding it to be true in education as well. I have always loved new technologies and find that by having a go and playing around with it, I am able to quickly learn new things (sometimes useful and sometimes not so).

I thought then that it would be a good idea to talk about the types of technology I have been using this year (so far) and how I have found it. First of all is Google:

The Google Suite of products (Drive/ Docs/ Forms)
The school I teach at uses Google Drive as their main digital filing system. At first I thought it would be a little tricky to get around but now am finding it quite a good idea. The one thing about Google Drive/ Docs that I really like is having access to everything on all my devices whenever I need to access them. If I am working with my class and I have forgotten something in my planning, I can quickly bring up my planner on my ipad (which is significantly quicker than finding it on my laptop).

I also love the live updating and sharing of documents. During our staff planning sessions, all team members can be editing a document at once - so if one person is unpacking ideas for numeracy, others can be unpacking for other KLA's at the same time and know that everything is in one easy to access document.

The one thing that I am most excited about is something I am really new at - Google Forms. I love that you can make a quick and easy survey using this application. At this stage we have used this only once in class to gather data from students in relation to subject knowledge but the possibilities are endless. You and your students can create their own forms and share them with family and friends or with the whole world.




No comments:

Post a Comment